HomeFacebookYouTubeTwitterWeather
Click to Home

Go To Search
EmailPrintRSS
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon Monoxide Defined

Carbon Monoxide, chemically known as CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that could be fatal to humans. CO is undetectable by the five great human senses which is why it is so dangerous. When CO is breathed in by humans, it bonds to the hemoglobin in the blood. This makes oxygen cells dysfunctional.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide include:


v  Headaches

v  Fatigue

v  Dizziness and Nausea

v  Confusion

v  Irritability


Carbon Monoxide Sources

Carbon Monoxide is a product of combustion. This means that it is present whenever something is burning or has burned.

Common household items that produce CO:


v  Space Heaters

v  Gas and Oil Furnaces

v  Fireplaces

v  Dryers

v  Water heaters

v  Refrigerators

v  Gas Ranges

v  Wood Burning Stoves


Carbon Monoxide is a product of combustion. This means that it is present whenever something is burning or has burned.

If any of these items are in your home, you could be subject to CO poisoning. Today, insulation in homes is better than ever. CO needs to be vented out of your home.


Carbon Monoxide Protection
co detector
Since CO is unable to be detected by humans, CO detectors should be placed in the home. At least one CO detector should be placed in the home, but installing two is recommended. One of the detectors should be placed in the sleeping areas and the other by the furnace room, but not in it. Detectors can range from $15.00 to $50.00 and can be purchased at any local hardware store.




What to do if the CO Alarm is Sounding
If a CO alarm is sounding, take it seriously. Move yourself into fresh air and call the local Fire Department or 911. Let the dispatcher know if you have any of the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning.