HomeFacebookYouTubeTwitterWeather
Click to Home

Go To Search
EmailPrintRSS
History
St. Francis Fire
The City of St. Francis was formed in 1951, separating themselves from the Town of Lake and the City of Milwaukee. The St. Francis Fire Department was started shortly after on June 6, 1954. The department initially utilized a Quonset hut that was previously a machine shop as their headquarters. The firehouse was shared with the Department of Public Works who occupied the rear portion of the building. Two engines were acquired; one through the disbursements of assets when breaking free from the other cities and the other purchased from the City of Milwaukee. The department was staffed with 5 full-time personnel and 24 paid on call firefighters.

The following year, in 1955, the staffing increased from 5 to 7 fulltime personnel. That same year, the St. Francis Common Council had adopted a resolution to sign a mutual aid pact with its suburban neighbors; Cudahy, South Milwaukee, Greendale, and Town of Oak Creek. Over the next two decades and many tragic fires, the city decided to increase the staffing to 12 fulltime personnel plus the fire chief. In the early 90's, our department developed the Juvenile Fire Setter Program that educates children in the consequences and dangers of fire setting behavior. In 1998, the department established the St. Francis Fire Department high school program. This program was offered to high school students to come to the station and learn about basic fire ground operations. In early 2011, the city decided to increase its staffing from 12 to 15 fulltime personnel and they were hired shortly after.